Logo

Is Drake starting his own label? Speculation.. 

Post Is Drake starting his own label? Speculation..
We all know bout Drake, love him or hate him. As of right now he's arguably one of the most well known young artists in the game, and signed to Young Money. But before that, Drizzy was working under the label imprint of October's Very Own, managed by Hiphop since 1979.. He managed to push pretty decent independent numbers when he put out Room for Improvement, and has successfully flipped a mixtape into an EP a year ago (So Far Gone).

A lot of his hype before being signed was through the internet and word of mouth. With that being said, Drake has become a huge mainstream artist since signing to Young Money (A move that was questioned a while back, considering he may have been forced into it). Some would say that at this point in time, there ain't much that YMCMB can do for Drizzy aside from the usual hype created by labels; (promotion, distribution and radio time) he is a hook guy, raps and sings, and has a versatile soundscape in his partner and producer, 40. Yes, I know, a lot of y'all have your suspicion that he has ghostwriters and that's a no-brainer, but the point is that Drake could've been doing the music independently all along.

With Take Care coming out, he has gone on a recent tour, the Club Paradise Tour. Instead of touring with Wayne or even any of his label mates, Drake hand-picked two independent, left-field and arguably extremely talented artists in Kendrick Lamar and A$AP Rocky. At first I questioned this, and then got extremely excited, and then got wary. I'm a huge fan of KDot; since I first heard O.D/ Overly Dedicated, (because of a cosign by another favorite of mine, J. Cole) the MC and hiphop purist in me couldn't help but be drawn to Kendrick's masterful lyricism and unique cadence that reminds me of Pharaoh Monch, and he's gotten better and better, leading up to his independently released Section.80... I got real excited for him to be put on by an artist as well-known as Drake, but then got wary of the possibility of KDot becoming more "mainstream" under Drake... Soon i realized this was a dumb thing to consider, since Kendrick has been learning how to be accessible and enjoyable in his own way.

After I heard A$AP Rocky's name again on the 'Fro, I decided to download his mixtape and read an article on his $3 Million deal ($1.3 million dollar solo deal, 1.7 to start his own label). I immediately could see why he got signed to create his own label, as he has his own entire camp of rappers and producers that could pan out to follow in the footsteps of another NY label, Duck Down Records. The Harlem rapper has his own unique blend of a grimy NY thug sound and a classic Houston Chopped 'N Screwed haze. This all goes without mentioning The Weeknd, who is finding his own independent success through two free mix-albums released on his website. It is no question that Drake has played a part in Weeknd's hype, as both Toronto natives have had numerous collaborations.

All three of these artists have a unique sound, and bring something different to the table in a time that major industry rappers are searching for nothing but their next big hit. This all brings me back to my point: what if Drake started his own independent label under the imprint of October's very own?? Whether a management label (a la GOOD Music at the start) or a fully independent record label, this would be a MAJOR indie powerhouse for great, creative artists with versatile and exciting in-house producers behind them. Were Drake to ever have a falling-out with Wayne and Birdman at YM, his fanbase would likely still be there, as well as Noah "40" Shebib. It would be possible for him to be bigger than, say, Tech N9ne in the independent hiphop game, and all of the aforementioned artists would benefit from it.

(Edited for spacing [shoutout to King Jerm thanks for the suggestion mayn])

Last edited by Cota on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:24 am

Post Re: Is Drake starting his own label? Speculation..
Yes, Drake is starting his own label. He's a hustler's hustler. He will hustle Baby. Mark my words.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:22 pm
Staff Member

The thing that is going to stop all of this is Drake's loyalty. He loves Wayne and would never leave his side. Even if he started to consider creating a llabel, Birdman is smart enough to have the label is funneled through YMCMB.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Pretty sure he'll call it WeepyAss Records

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:27 pm

DuB wrote:
The thing that is going to stop all of this is Drake's loyalty. He loves Wayne and would never leave his side. Even if he started to consider creating a llabel, Birdman is smart enough to have the label is funneled through YMCMB.

These are the two reasons I wouldn't see it happening. He needs to start considering options tho, unless Take Care is completely out of nowhere wit the joints, he's going stale quick. If he were to go A&R/ CEO of an indie label, he could still be pulling his money without having to compromise what label he's on as an artist..

raza wrote:
Pretty sure he'll call it WeepyAss Records

Haha him and Weeknd mayn.. A$AP is ill tho, kinda gangsta music and Kendrick is dope

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:56 pm
Site Admin

I wonder if you are missing the ENTER button on your computer.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 am

O GREAT! Wow how great for the game, now we gonna get tons of Canadian bullshit forced down our throat! This man doesnt need a label he needs a tampoon

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:42 am

King Jerm wrote:
I wonder if you are missing the ENTER button on your computer.

yo it was late and i was trying to get it all out at once lol sry..

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:44 am

P from da D wrote:
O GREAT! Wow how great for the game, now we gonna get tons of Canadian bullshit forced down our throat! This man doesnt need a label he needs a tampoon

mayn did you read what I wrote?? have you not heard Kendrick Lamar's music? This wouldn't be about bullshit music (except i got my own opinion of Weeknd) it would be about a very strong independent roster.. He would be stupid to NOT start a label with all the talent he's associated with

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:45 am

Drake is a beast. I hope he does start his own label. If I have to hear Bricksquad or any other horrid ass southern music again, I'm stabbing toddlers. Drake may not be the toughest nigga in the world, but talent wise he's puttin these "hood" rappers to shame. Kinda says something about how lyrically weak rappers are these days when the most talented rappers (Kanye, Drake, Childish Gambino, etc) don't even be on that hood shit.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:59 am

Yeah, there's a lot of really good hiphop out there now! I still get on my gangsta shit tho haha.. Freddie Gibbs tape is fire, A$AP is good, Nipsey Hussle's new mixtape is great too

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:58 am